(Driving Under the Influence)
Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs is charged as a gross misdemeanor in Washington State, unless prior history gives rise to felony DUI.
There are a number of ways you can be charged with DUI, with the most common being you provide a breath or blood test where your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is above .08 or you refused to provide a sample and the officer alleges to have probable cause to arrest for DUI. When charged with this offense, you will be subject to both a criminal proceeding and an administrative action from the Department of Licensing... Learn more about DUIs!
A misdemeanor is often regarded as a minor criminal offense. There are two types of misdemeanors: simple and gross.
- A simple misdemeanor carries penalties of up to 90 days in jail and fines of up to $1,000. Negligent Driving in the 1st Degree is an example of a simple misdemeanor.
- A gross misdemeanor is a more serious offense and carries penalties of up to 364 days in jail and up $5,000 in fines. Driving While Under the Influence, Reckless Driving and Malicious Mischief in the 3rd Degree are gross misdemeanors... Learn more about misdemeanors!
Felony crimes are much more serious than misdemeanors and include such offenses as vehicular homicide, assaults, robbery, burglary, and sales or distribution of illegal drugs.
- Class A felonies, which are the most serious, are punishable by prison sentences which can include life, as well as fines of up to $50,000.
- Class B felonies carry penalties of up to 10 years in prison and fines of up to $20,000.
- Class C felonies are punishable by up to 5 years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines... Learn more about Felonies
The Law Office of Michael Frans handles appeals of criminal trials and administrative license suspension hearings. Appeals must be filed timely, so schedule an appointment to discuss your potential appeal immediately. You do not have to simply accept the decisions rendered in your case, The Law Office of Michael Frans has been able to help undo many guilty verdicts and unfavorable decisions previously rendered.
You will not find a better defense lawyer! Mike represented me in two different cases. The first involved charges of DUI and Assault, and the other was another DUI case. In both instances, Mike was able to negotiate unbelieveable deals with the prosecutors. I truly believe that if I hadn't hired Mike, I would be in jail and my life would be over.